The Opus Group seeks a Lead Payroll Specialist to join our Finance team. We offer a flexible, family friendly work environment where you’ll receive a generous benefit package including immediate 401k match and help repaying your student loan.
We’re changing the way people live and work by developing, designing, and constructing high-quality, state-of-the-art buildings, delivering on clients’ visions, and we can only do this with great people. Our culture and work environment allow our talented associates to grow and thrive. We are fast paced and focus on challenging work assignments, professional development and mentoring to ensure our team members continue to learn and grow.
Not only are we building significant, truly integrated design-build projects, but our teams also contribute to the community with the Opus Foundation® and support the environment with our sustainability initiatives. We also realize that you have a life outside of work – balance is important. We work hard but also have fun!
Working out of our headquarters in Minnetonka, MN, the Lead Payroll Specialist is accountable for preparation, review, and filing of tax related documents, labilities, and required reporting, ensuring compliance with applicable guidelines and regulations. Responsible for weekly and bi-weekly payroll processing for assigned business unit(s). The Lead Payroll Specialist is a primary point of contact for associates with payroll requests and related questions.
In-house payroll tax preparation
- Communicate and obtain required tax withholding forms or inquiries for various federal, state and local jurisdictions from associates
- Set up new tax jurisdictions with agencies as well as in ERP
- Ensure proper tax withholding set up on associate records
- Reconcile and determine liability for all required tax payments in multi-states; including quarterly and year end payroll tax filing and payments for applicable federal, state and local jurisdictions
- Prepare and submit quarterly and annual tax forms
- Assists with audit inquiries from applicable federal, state and local jurisdictions
- Corresponds with various state and federal agencies regarding tax submissions and payments respond to all agencies notices
- Monitor system set up for tax compliance for applicable federal, state and local jurisdictions
- Research, interpret, and understand existing or revised tax codes, laws, or forms
- Modify work procedures to reflect changes in tax law or code
- Responsible for monthly system tax update (Vertex) and testing
- Prepare and process in-house weekly and bi-weekly payroll for assigned business unit
- Update payroll records by entering associate data related to payroll processing
- Prepares payroll reports by compiling summaries of earnings, taxes, deductions, leave, disability, and non-taxable wages.
- Assists with W-2 processing, responsible for balancing year end data for companies assigned.
- Process on demand checks as requested
- Collect and process per diem payments, parking reimbursements, and mobile device monthly stipends.
- Resolves payroll discrepancies by collecting and analyzing data
- Initiate or respond to verbal and/or written communications with associates regarding paychecks, deductions, taxes and earnings, or other payroll related information
Ongoing maintenance and reporting
- Runs ad-hoc and standard payroll reports, as requested.
- Verifies and files reports and updates summaries
- Prepares payroll deposit and tax deposit amounts
- Handles related banking transfers
- Reviews journal entries for assigned business units
- Reviews the payroll accounts within the general ledgers
- Updates job costing tables, as applicable
- Updates workers’ compensation tables, when requested
- Maintain union rate tables, prepare and remit union payments
- Provides back-up support to Payroll Manager and Payroll Specialist
- Performs other tasks for the Accounting and Human Resources departments as requested
- Minimum of 3 years multi state in-house tax reporting
- Minimum of 3 years’ corporate payroll production and in house processing experience
- Associates degree in Accounting or related field; Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) preferred
- Oracle JD Edwards experience is preferred but not necessary
- Advanced analytical skills, strong attention to detail, and high degree of accuracy
- Ability to work independently under pressure, meet deadlines, make timely decisions, and maintain confidential information appropriately
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Strong computer skills, with thorough knowledge of MS Excel.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
The companies comprising The Opus Group are Equal Opportunity Employers.
Women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.