The Opus Group seeks a Technical Designer to join our talented and creative Design team.
We build more than buildings. We are building greatness, in both our projects and our people. The combination of our people, culture, and unique project delivery approach truly differentiates us – it’s why our associates come here, and why they stay – just ask them. Team Opus associates collaborate to advance our client goals, our communities, and their careers, every single day. At Opus you have an unmatched opportunity with a growing, industry leading organization to learn and develop professionally, while having fun along the way. You get to create solutions, forge relationships, and work with industry experts. Our award winning teams are united by one mission, and are driven to deliver impactful results for our clients and communities. If you want to build more, join us at Opus.
Working out of our headquarters office in Minnetonka, MN, the Technical Designer will be responsible to conceptualize design for all assigned projects with all degrees of complexity, and complete initial density studies at the onset of project feasibility. The role will also help develop plans in collaboration with the lead project Designer as the project progress through schematic design and entitlements. This position requires a self-motivated, and directed person capable of performing assigned tasks on time with high technical competency and a breadth of knowledge in varying project types.
Analysis of Site, Density and Feasibility Alternatives
- Develop zoning ordinance design criteria that comply with governmental regulations, noting any variances that may be required.
- Assemble current, necessary and available data to investigate the proposed site in terms of size; topography; vegetation; water; solar, compass and wind orientation; utilities; drainage patterns; easements; vistas; adjoining property; noise sources; soils; flood plain; transportation; access and expansion.
- Analyze site for physical constraints and opportunities.
- Analyze and identify site for suitability to defined program and design criteria.
- Analyze interior building functions, their interrelationships and their relation to overall building and site configurations.
- Develop schematic alternatives that demonstrate solutions to the project program and architectural criteria.
- Select and develop a preferred schematic alternative.
- Review plan opportunities with the lead designer for code compliance.
- Prepare or direct the preparation of necessary materials to graphically illustrate and document design proposals.
- Provide project team with detailed project metrics and area takes-off per Industry standards.
Design Development and Review
- Work with lead designer to develop alternative systems, materials and details for each project as assigned.
- Confirm interior program and site relationships to assist the lead designer with unique specification aspects on assigned projects.
- Maintain technical responsibility for suitability of materials, details, functional layout and buildability for each assigned project through schematic design.
- Support lead designer in review of plans, specifications and drawings of all disciplines for conformance with design intent.
- Review documents with lead designer for most efficient transposition from proposal documentation to contract documentation.
- Coordination with other disciplines and consultants to integrate all building systems and relate to budget feasibility during initial project development phases with lead designer
- Bachelor’s Degree in Architecture or greater
- Minimum of three years’ experience in a directly related field with design-build and Revit experience preferred
- Thorough knowledge of architectural practice and construction
- Ability to handle architectural production projects of any size and complexity
- Strong team relations focus, including excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills and effective presentation skills
- Strong program development skills, with the ability to develop conceptual design alternatives
- Self-motivated and capable of meeting deadlines with minimal supervision
Please submit resume and portfolio (or link to portfolio) to HumanResources@opus-group.com
The companies comprising The Opus Group are Equal Opportunity Employers.
Women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply