The Opus Group seeks an experienced Superintendent to join our Chicago Design-Build team.
We build more than buildings. We are building greatness, in both our projects and our people. The combination of our people, culture, and unique project delivery approach truly differentiates us – it’s why our associates come here, and why they stay – just ask them. Team Opus associates collaborate to advance our client goals, our communities, and their careers, every single day. At Opus you have an unmatched opportunity with a growing, industry leading organization to learn and develop professionally, while having fun along the way. You get to create solutions, forge relationships, and work with industry experts. Our award winning teams are united by one mission, and are driven to deliver impactful results for our clients and communities. If you want to build more, join us at Opus.
Based out of our office in Rosemont, IL, and with the flexibility for regional travel, the Superintendent will be responsible for planning and organizing all field construction activities for a project, ensuring that it is finished safely, in a quality manner, on schedule, and within budget, while developing and maintaining a positive company reputation with the client and community.
A. Planning and Scheduling
- Study contract drawings, shop drawings, specifications, and quality assurance programs to fully understand design criteria for construction purposes.
- Provide critique and suggestions regarding design details to ensure buildability of project.
- Contribute to the establishment of controlling budgets and scheduling of construction activities during pre-construction meetings.
- Ensure that appropriate building permits are obtained.
B. Project Oversight
- Oversee and direct all phases of construction work at project jobsite.
- Arrange for proper size and skill-mix of crew on jobsite.
- Monitor progress schedule and take action to ensure project proceeds on established schedule.
- Order construction materials according to project specifications.
- Schedule work activities of crews and subcontractors to effectively sequence activities.
- Ensure building inspections are completed at the appropriate times.
- Oversee the maintenance and protection of company equipment.
- Determine and order tools and equipment according to project requirements in a timely manner.
- Monitor and correct all construction activities to comply with applicable municipal ordinances.
- Ensure proper and accurate job layout according to design drawings and specifications.
- Monitor job costs and take corrective action to ensure project completion within budget.
- Maintain good relationships with neighbors of jobsite.
C. Team Supervision
- Build and maintain rapport with all the team members, demonstrating leadership abilities and good judgment.
- Clearly and accurately delegate authority and responsibility to subordinates and co-workers.
- Create and maintain productive working relationships with subcontractors.
- Supervise subordinates according to labor contract specifications.
- Monitor, enforce, and maintain job safety for construction project.
- Ensure crew is informed of, and uses, safety equipment required by OSHA regulations.
- Monitor subcontractors to ensure no one is allowed onsite without an Opus signed contract, insurance, and a safety plan.
- Conduct regular jobsite safety meetings and maintain proper records and reports.
E. Quality Assurance
- Monitor construction activities and take corrective action as necessary to ensure quality standards are met.
- Ensure construction of the project conforms to plans and specifications, and project meets or exceeds the owner’s/tenant’s expectations.
- Complete punch-lists and correct all punch-list related issues.
F. General Administration
- Prepare equipment and manpower requests for construction needs.
- Ensure that time cards are prepared and submitted to appropriate party.
- Prepare progress reports that contain labor hours and in-place quantities.
- Maintain an accurate and up-to-date job diary for jobsite.
- Keep supervisor and Project Manager informed on construction projects.
- High School Diploma or equivalent with additional construction-related course from a vocational or technical program.
- 7+ years’ experience with construction of large scale multi-unit residential
- Demonstrated construction supervisory capabilities, with experience working with multiple trades in union and non-union environments
- Knowledge of the design/build process and ability to coordinate people and activities related to construction according to plan and design intent
- Strong technical aptitude and problem-solving ability
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills
- Excellent organization skills
- Must possess a valid Driver’s License
- Must be able to travel and work at project locations throughout the region
- Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the U.S. and must not require sponsorship for employment visa status now or in the future (e.g. H1-B status).
The companies comprising The Opus Group are Equal Opportunity Employers.
Women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.