The Opus Group seeks a Real Estate Finance Analyst to join our talented Minneapolis team.
We build more than buildings. We are building greatness, in both our projects and our people. The combination of our people, culture, and unique project delivery approach truly differentiates us – it is why our associates come here, and why they stay. Team Opus associates collaborate to advance our client goals, our communities, and their careers. At Opus, you have an unmatched opportunity with a growing, industry leading organization to learn and develop professionally, while having fun along the way. You get to create solutions, forge relationships, and work with industry experts. Our award winning teams are united by one mission, and are driven to deliver impactful results for our clients and communities. If you want to build more, join us at Opus.
Working out Opus’ headquarters office in Minnetonka, MN, the capital markets associate will be responsible for assisting Opus’ development teams across the country in structuring financing for their projects. The associate’s role will be multi-faceted and fast paced. The associate will have the opportunity to collaborate with Opus’ development teams to assist with gathering market information, underwriting projects, preparing investment overviews and coordinating the initial outreach to equity investors and assisting with the closing of joint-venture partnerships. All actions to be performed in a manner consistent with the goals and objectives of the Company’s vision, values and strategic plan.
- Assist in the identification of new equity investors and build-to-suit investors
- Assist with maintaining relations with existing equity partners, including ongoing discussions related to investment focus (e.g. product type, geography, etc.)
- Assist in identification and maintenance of key industry relationships, including investment sale brokers, debt and structured finance brokers, consultants, attorneys, etc.
- Collaborate with internal development teams, Senior Development & Investment Analyst and other Opus associates to support projects as needed.
Business and Investment Analysis
- Prepare investment offering memorandums for equity investors for new development opportunities
- Work with development teams to provide guidance in gathering market information, due diligence items and underwriting materials to support financial modeling for offering memorandums
- Assist developers and Senior Development & Investment Analyst in underwriting and financial modeling of new development opportunities
- Coordinate initial outreach to potential JV investment partners with transmission of investment offering memorandums and due diligence materials; coordinate ongoing correspondence with investors to aid in their underwriting of opportunities
- Assist with partnership negotiations, including term sheet evaluation and comparison, preparation of final budgets and exhibits
- Work with various internal Opus teams to gather additional due diligence items necessary for investors underwriting of projects and closing joint ventures (e.g. legal, environmental, risk)
- Assist Senior Development & Investment Analyst and internal Opus teams in managing cash flow projections and valuations for projects under construction and operating assets
- Partner with Opus’ internal marketing team to develop marketing campaigns for internal and external distribution, including recurring Newsletter to Opus associates
- Coordinate weekly closing checklist/due diligence calls with all project stakeholders, including JV partners, banks, environmental team, risk management, title, legal, etc.
- Manage or facilitate the collection of information needed by internal and external parties to meet closing deadlines.
- Prepare and/or review final budgets and closing statements for completeness and accuracy
- Assist with managing post-closing matters as needed, such as joint-venture requirements, title and survey matters, and transitioning project from pre-development to under construction
- Stay abreast of current financial trends relative to the organization’s goals and objectives
- Assist in the preparation of materials related to Opus’ equity capital markets strategy for executive leadership review and internal distribution amongst Opus associates
- Maintain JV partner summary matrix for Opus’ existing joint-venture partnerships
- Maintain central database of equity and build-to-suit investors by product type, geography and project size in an effort to identify new potential partners for future projects
- Bachelor’s degree in Real Estate, Business, Finance and/or Management; MBA with real estate focus strongly preferred
- Three to five years of relevant work experience (e.g. real estate finance, brokerage, investment sales)
- Strong analytical skills; proficient in Microsoft excel and financial modeling
- Well versed in real estate finance, including understanding of operating cash flows, valuations, income and expense analysis, proformas and financial return metrics
- Familiar with and able to prepare investment memorandums for investors;
- Basic knowledge of the due diligence and closing process
- Effective interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills; including presentation skills
- Ability to travel up to 15-25% of the time
- Highly motivated, able to work independently and a strong sense of responsibility
- Able to function both in a team-oriented setting while taking direction as well as independently to solve problems and drive toward results
The companies comprising The Opus Group are Equal Opportunity Employers.
As an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, and veteran or disability status.