The Opus Group seeks a Capital Markets Associate to join our talented Minneapolis team.
We build more than buildings. We are building greatness, in both our projects and our people. The combination of our people, culture, and unique project delivery approach truly differentiates us – it is why our associates come here, and why they stay. Team Opus associates collaborate to advance our client goals, our communities, and their careers. At Opus, you have an unmatched opportunity with a growing, industry leading organization to learn and develop professionally, while having fun along the way. Our award winning teams are united by one mission and are driven to deliver impactful results.
Working out Opus’ headquarters office in Minnetonka, MN, the Capital Markets Associate will be responsible for assisting Opus’ development teams across the country in structuring financing for their projects. The associate’s role will be multi-faceted and fast paced. The associate will have the opportunity to collaborate with Opus’ development teams to assist with gathering market information, underwriting projects, preparing investment overviews, coordinating investor outreach, and assisting with the closing of joint-venture partnerships. All actions to be performed in a manner consistent with the goals and objectives of the Company’s vision, values and strategic plan.
Business and Investment Analysis
- Assist Opus’ development teams and Senior Development & Investment Analyst in underwriting new development opportunities, as well as managing cash flow projections and valuations for projects under construction and operating assets.
- Work with development teams and external partners to gather market information to support Opus’ underwriting and financial modeling.
- Work with development teams to prepare marketing materials (e.g. investment summaries, offering memorandums) for equity investors for new development opportunities.
- Coordinate initial outreach to investors with transmission of marketing and due diligence materials.
- Coordinate ongoing correspondence with investors and work with various internal Opus teams (e.g. developers, legal, risk management, environmental) to gather additional materials necessary for investors underwriting of projects and closing joint ventures.
- Partner with Opus’ internal marketing team to develop marketing campaigns for internal and external distribution, including recurring Newsletter to Opus associates and materials for executive leadership.
- Assist with identifying new investor partners and strengthening existing relationships to align Opus’ pipeline of projects with reliable capital sources by geography and product type.
- Assist in developing key industry relationships with brokers (investment sales, debt/equity, and structured finance), consultants, attorneys, etc.
- Collaborate with internal development teams, Senior Development & Investment Analyst and other Opus associates across the company to support projects as needed.
- Manage or facilitate the collection of information needed by internal and external parties to meet closing deadlines.
- Coordinate weekly closing checklist/due diligence calls with all project stakeholders, including JV partners, attorneys, construction consultants, environmental and risk management teams, title, etc.
- Prepare and/or review final budgets and closing statements for completeness and accuracy.
- Assist with managing post-closing matters as needed, such as joint-venture requirements, title and survey matters, and transitioning project from pre-development to under construction.
- Stay abreast of current financial trends relative to the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Assist in the preparation of materials related to Opus’ equity capital markets strategy for executive leadership review and/or internal distribution amongst Opus associates.
- Maintain JV partner summary matrix for Opus’ existing joint-venture partnerships.
- Maintain central database of equity and build-to-suit investors by product type, geography and project size in an effort to identify new potential partners for future projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in Real Estate, Business, Finance and/or Management; MBA with real estate focus strongly preferred
- Two to five years of relevant work experience (e.g. real estate finance, investment sales, leasing)
- Strong analytical skills; proficient in Microsoft excel and financial modeling
- Well versed in real estate finance, including understanding of operating cash flows, valuations, income and expense analysis, proformas and financial return metrics
- Familiar with and able to prepare investment memorandums; proficient in InDesign and PowerPoint
- Basic knowledge of the due diligence and closing process
- Effective interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills; including presentation skills
- Ability to travel up to 15-25% of the time
- Highly motivated, able to work independently and a strong sense of responsibility
- Able to function both in a team-oriented setting while taking direction as well as independently to solve problems and drive toward results
The companies comprising The Opus Group are Equal Opportunity Employers.
As an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, and veteran or disability status.