The Opus Group seeks a Manager of Risk Management to join our talented Minneapolis team.
We build more than buildings. We are building greatness, in both our projects and our people. The combination of our people, culture, and unique project delivery approach truly differentiates us – it is why our associates come here, and why they stay. Team Opus associates collaborate to advance our client goals, our communities, and their careers. At Opus, you have an unmatched opportunity with a growing, industry leading organization to learn and develop professionally, while having fun along the way. Our award winning teams are united by one mission and are driven to deliver impactful results.
Working out Opus’ headquarters office in Minnetonka, MN, the Manager of Risk Management is responsible for insurance risk management programs within The Opus Group (“the Company”), including insurance policy analysis, placement, and administration. This position manages all claims and insured litigation and is responsible for team leadership and collaboration with project teams to facilitate appropriate insurance plans. All actions to be performed in a manner consistent with the goals and objectives of the Company’s vision, values and strategic plan.
Risk Planning, Management and Administration
- Responsible for analysis, placement and renewal of insurance policies and programs for the Company, including property, builders’ risk, casualty, executive risk, professional, pollution, and cyber coverages.
- Manage the placement of project specific policies as needed and requested by the business, such as stand-alone property and pollution policies, and general liability wrap-up policies.
- Accountable for the review of policies and endorsements.
- Oversight and coordination of the following:
- Gathering insurance policy renewal data, as necessary.
- Builders’ risk insurance program from placement and renewal through administration, individual project application and termination, and claims.
- The Company’s insurance brokers to respond to requests for certificates of insurance and claims history documents.
- Maintenance of insurance policies and other Risk Management records.
- Insurance audit process.
- Collaborate with Company business teams to monitor active pursuits, provide risk analysis and assist with accurate pricing for and placement of insurance coverage for new projects.
- Partner with insurance and risk management personnel of joint venture partners to develop insurance program for venture.
- Oversee Risk Management team accounting, including cost allocation among business units, payment of insurance invoices, tracking and management of reserve and loss fund data.
- Monitor insurance industry trends relative to the Company’s products, services, and practices, and anticipate future trends likely to have an impact on the Company.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with third party service providers including brokers, underwriters, insurer claims personnel, third-party administrators, and auditors.
- Partner with key stakeholders to develop and implement standards, processes, programs, and best practices related to risk management.
- Foster relationships with the Company’s surety bonding company and oversees the surety bond process.
- Partner with business and safety leaders in identifying and implementing safety initiatives, including incorporating guidance and suggestions from insurers and brokers.
- Manage all phases of the claims process from internal report, timely notification to carriers, and initial response and investigation through litigation and resolution, collaborating with internal counsel, outside legal counsel, broker, adjusting companies, insurers, claimants, and other involved parties.
- Collaborate with key stakeholders to develop and communicate plans to address loss events.
- Work with the broker and the Associate General Counsel to understand and respond to coverage determinations.
- Promote a culture that reflects the organization’s values, encourages good performance, and rewards productivity.
- Advise the Associate General Counsel and management personnel on current developments in the insurance industry.
- Oversee the provision of risk management services to affiliated entities pursuant to business and administrative services agreements.
- Create and maintain resources and tools to assist the business, including insurance coverage information summaries, protocols and checklists, risk management informational and training materials, claims reporting guidance, and insurance calculator tools.
- Create and provide internal training on insurance topics pertinent to the Company’s business.
- Participate in internal, cross-functional committees as requested.
- Responsible for the recruitment, development, retention and effectiveness of the risk management team.
- Meet regularly with team members to keep them informed and offer direction; share knowledge and advice, in an effort to contribute to employee development, as well as information relative to overall business performance and general company issues.
- Conduct performance appraisals and establish performance goals as well as individual development plans with direct reports.
- Bachelor’s degree preferably in risk management, finance, accounting, legal studies or related field. Advanced degree in business or law is a plus.
- Minimum of three to five years’ insurance or risk management experience is required, with accompanying understanding of insurance and claims.
- Knowledge of and experience in real estate or construction industry preferred.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills, with ability to anticipate needs and to exercise good judgment in a fast paced environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and ability to establish positive and effective business relationships both within and outside the Company.
- Highly organized with attention to detail.
- Managerial experience preferred.
The companies comprising The Opus Group are Equal Opportunity Employers.
As an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, and veteran or disability status.