The Opus Group seeks a Superintendent to join our Des Moines team.
We build more than buildings. We are building greatness, in both our projects and our people. The combination of our people, culture, and unique project delivery approach truly differentiates us – it is why our associates come here, and why they stay. Team Opus associates collaborate to advance our client goals, our communities, and their careers. At Opus, you have an unmatched opportunity with a growing, industry leading organization to learn and develop professionally, while having fun along the way. Our award winning teams are united by one mission and are driven to deliver impactful results.
We value our associates and the time they spend building more with us. We offer a comprehensive suite of benefits aimed at supporting them in and out of the workplace, including:
- healthcare, dental and vision coverage
- a 401(k) plan and immediate company match
- a student loan payback program
- paid time off
- paid holidays
- birthday holiday
- community time off
- caregiver leave
- tuition reimbursement
- paid licensures and professional memberships
Working out of our Des Moines office, the Superintendent will be responsible for planning and organizing all field construction activities for a project, ensuring that it is finished safely, in a quality manner, on schedule, and within budget, while developing and maintaining a positive company reputation with the client and community.
- Monitor, enforce, and maintain job safety for construction project.
- Ensure crew is informed of, and uses, safety equipment required by OSHA regulations.
- Monitor subcontractors to ensure no one is allowed onsite without an Opus signed contract, insurance, and a safety plan.
- Conduct regular jobsite safety meetings and maintain proper records and reports.
Planning and Scheduling
- Study contract drawings, shop drawings, specifications, and quality assurance programs to fully understand design criteria for construction purposes.
- Provide critique and suggestions regarding design details to ensure buildability of project.
- Contribute to the establishment of controlling budgets and scheduling of construction activities during pre-construction meetings.
- Ensure that appropriate building permits are obtained.
- Oversee and direct all phases of construction work at project jobsite.
- Arrange for proper size and skill-mix of crew on jobsite.
- Monitor progress schedule and take action to ensure project proceeds on established schedule.
- Order construction materials according to project specifications.
- Schedule work activities of crews and subcontractors to effectively sequence activities.
- Ensure building inspections are completed at the appropriate times.
- Oversee the maintenance and protection of company equipment.
- Determine and order tools and equipment according to project requirements in a timely manner.
- Monitor and correct all construction activities to comply with applicable municipal ordinances.
- Ensure proper and accurate job layout according to design drawings and specifications.
- Monitor job costs and take corrective action to ensure project completion within budget.
- Maintain good relationships with neighbors of jobsite.
- Build and maintain rapport with all the team members, demonstrating leadership abilities and good judgment.
- Clearly and accurately delegate authority and responsibility to subordinates and co-workers.
- Create and maintain productive working relationships with subcontractors.
- Supervise subordinates according to labor contract specifications.
- Monitor construction activities and take corrective action as necessary to ensure quality standards are met.
- Ensure construction of the project conforms to plans and specifications, and project meets or exceeds the owner’s/tenant’s expectations.
- Complete punch-lists and correct all punch-list related issues.
- High School Diploma or equivalent with additional construction-related course from a vocational or technical program.
- 7+ years’ experience with construction of large commercial and industrial buildings
- Demonstrated construction supervisory capabilities, with experience working with multiple trades in union and non-union environments
- Knowledge of the design/build process and ability to coordinate people and activities related to construction according to plan and design intent
- Strong technical aptitude and problem-solving ability
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills
- Excellent organization skills
- Must possess a valid Driver’s License
- Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to work in the U.S. and must not require sponsorship for employment visa status now or in the future (e.g. H1-B).
The companies comprising The Opus Group are Equal Opportunity Employers.