Community stewardship is at the core of our organization and has been a pillar of our organization's history from the beginning.
Since its inception in 2000, the Opus Foundation has awarded grants totaling more than $34 million. In addition, we have a strong commitment to lending time and expertise to enhance the communities in which we live and work. With the help of our dedicated associates, we've impacted more than 110 communities.
Through Opportunity and Impact Grants, the Foundation awards over $3 million annually to projects and programs that build our communities and make them better places to live, work and raise families.
The Foundation supports nonprofit organizations in the following areas:
- Early Childhood Education – to provide high quality experiences for preschool-age children that result in enhanced kindergarten readiness;
- Youth Development – to promote healthy social and academic development of youth, with an emphasis on supporting youth to stay in school and stay on track to pursue post-secondary education;
- Workforce Development – to strengthen the workforce in our communities and help position and prepare under/unemployed individuals for career advancement and greater self-sufficiency;
- Community Revitalization – to increase the vitality of economically disadvantaged neighborhoods, including the development of small businesses, affordable housing, and/or other important community assets such as community centers;
- Pressing/Emerging Needs – to respond to emergency needs such as food, clothing or shelter resulting from economically challenging times.
We're committed to building community for a better tomorrow.
The Opus Foundation does not accept unsolicited grant proposals.
The Minnesota Keystone Program recognizes and honors companies that donate at least 2% of their pre-tax earnings to the community. The program, which is administered by the Minneapolis Regional Chamber of Commerce, was established in 1976 to recognize and encourage charitable giving in the state. Learn More
We're proud to announce that we've been named a Minnesota Keystone Honored Company in recognition of our generous contributions to the community and outstanding corporate giving programs. Learn More
In partnership with the Opus Foundation, in 2015 we launched the annual Gerry Rauenhorst Building Community Award to honor our founder's legacy of giving and celebrate the rich history and tradition of our organization.
While the Opus Foundation® seeks to support nonprofit organizations in the communities where associates live, work and play, Action Teams in each office serve as the link between the community and the Foundation. Team members help increase the scale and impact of our philanthropic efforts by connecting with community members, recommending Opportunity and Impact Fund grantees, providing annual input on Foundation funding strategies and supporting various nonprofits through volunteerism. See the Current Teams
An associate-driven initiative, the Opus Volunteer Council engages associates who are committed to and passionate about volunteerism. Associates identify, organize and promote opportunities to volunteer in our communities.
Since 2012, we have honored our origins by participating in a company-wide volunteer day giving back to Opus communities. Founder's Day, held in late April, commemorates the day Gerald A. "Gerry" Rauenhorst signed the first contract for Rauenhorst Construction Co.
Associates across the company volunteer with local affiliates of Rebuilding Together and Habitat for Humanity, contributing time and expertise to these worthwhile organizations that align with our core values. In total, Opus associates have collectively volunteered over 6,300 hours on Founder's Day. Learn More
Each fall, associates in all offices gather together for a week of fundraising and team building activities, raising money for their local United Way Chapter. In addition to fundraising, each office hosts a volunteer event. From preparing and serving breakfast to the homeless to preparing healthy snack packs for students from a low-income school district, our associates contribute to the wellbeing of our communities.
In total, Opus associates raise more than $90,000 annually for the United Way.