The video above shows a recent and dramatic construction fire in Texas. This made national news, and I am sure most people have seen it.
One report stated, “a couple of guys were welding on the roof” of the wood-framed building. Events like this are a good reminder to our job supervisors currently building wood structures about fire protection and prevention. The following fire prevention techniques are used on our jobsites:
- Stay diligent with cleanup and housekeeping.
- Remove piles of flammable and combustible materials from the building on a regular schedule.
- Do not store fuels (gas, diesel or propane) inside the structure
- Inspect fire extinguishers on routinely to make sure they are working.
- Hot work activities must be coordinated with job supervisors. During these activities, proper protection is used and a fire extinguisher must be in the immediate area.