With a growing student population and increasing demand for on-campus housing, Iowa State University chose our design-build team to deliver its first new residence hall in more than a decade on its Ames, Iowa, campus.
The University didn't just want a residence hall; they wanted a building that could foster learning and encourage student interaction and socialization. With that goal driving the process, our team sought every opportunity to integrate features that met or exceeded the goal.
We delivered betterments for ISU that included:
- a front porch for each house and casual collision areas to foster interaction
- maximized bed count (12% more beds at up to 45% lower cost per bed than comparable projects)
- a lobby entrance twice the size of the minimum requirement
- a nearly column-free structure that provides future flexibility
- increased sustainability through LEED Gold level design and construction strategies
- a student-centered design with increased natural light and ample study and social spaces throughout the building.
See How We Put Our Mission to Work